Darin got in on Sunday night and Monday morning, we headed out to Arequipa, a town in the Mountains along the south coast. The town is beautiful, built mostly of Silar, or volcanic rock. And in fantastic contrast to the white stone, the interiors (especially the those of the convent Santa Cantalina, which is a whole city within a city) are painted with vivid colors. I spent a good portion of this afternoon grinning ridiculosly in appreciation.
The catherdals are also divine, but perhaps the most striking things about them are the paintings within. Everytime the last supper is featured (and it´s featured a lot), the meal consists, not of bread and wine, but of traditional Peruvian fare: Cuy (guinea pig) and chiles. Anyone hungry?
Among the other fine peruvian dining options is Inca Kola, which Darin insists I try at some point before I leave. It´s the color of Mountain Dew on a bad day and (reportedly) tastes like bubblegum. My intent is to avoid it as long as possible. We´ll see how long I can hold out (he´s very tenatious). For now, my lips are sealed.
1 comment:
i imagine it's cheaper there, but we get inca kola at the Giant and several Mount Pleasant Bodegas. I brought it, amongst other things and semi-joking, to Eli and Kavitha's once. They regifted it to a TLS potluck.
Post a Comment