There's a song called "Don't Know Why (You Stay)" (by the Essex Green), which compares people stuck in the urban daily grind to wooden marionettes, and fantasizes about "stepping long," cutting the strings and getting out.
Well, after 3 years in DC, I quit my job, broke my lease and am heading out for 2+ months of unadulterated, unemployed travel before going back to school in the fall. It would be easy to cast this as an escape from the drudgery of working life and my cramped urban apartment. But the truth is, I loved my job and I adored all 225 square feet of my Mt. Pleasant efficiency. (That's the view from my apartment during cherry blossom season on the right.)
At the same time, there's a ton of world to see. As the Essex Green put it:
"if we swim away we're stuck on horizon
just catch it when it goes
or to take a piece and pull back the curtains
and there's nothing left but your clothes"
I'm stuck on horizon. This year, I've gotten to go to Thailand and Cambodia (yay E&K!) and Croatia and Bosnia (yay Adina! yay Shaina! yay Jon!). But I seem to have missed a whole continent in this hemisphere.
So I'm off to South America for the next two months.
As excited as I am, I don't believe in this whole dramatic "cutting ties" and "moving on" thing.
Thus, the blog.
So enjoy, keep in touch, and comment as you will.
3 comments:
Yay for unadulterated travel!
Welcome to my google reader, my dear! Croatia pics up on flickr.
travel blogs rock. post lots of pictures :)
Post a Comment